- Skill Set
Translation is a profession. In order to become a translator, I first completed a demanding graduate programme.
In 1991, I graduated from École Supérieure d’Interprètes et de Traducteurs (ESIT) at La Sorbonne university in Paris, one of the largest schools of translation in France.
I only work in certain fields: IT, renewable energy and marketing/communication.
As a specialist, I am first and foremost, very enthusiastic about your field of business. I keep abreast of news and trends as a matter of course.
I subscribe to professional journals and regularly attend professional conferences and trade fairs.
For example, I am a member of the German association of biogas professionals Fachverband Biogas e. V.
My genuine interest in my clients’ fields underpins the quality of my translations.
I have over 20 years’ experience in technical writing and copywriting in the fields of information technology and renewable energy.
Over the years, I have translated a broad spectrum of documents for an array of clients (multinational companies, small and medium-sized enterprises, specialised translation agencies and other freelance translators).
It goes without saying that as a professional translator, I run my business as a professional. My professionalism is one of the pillars of my client relations. By way of example:
- My independent translation business is based in France, where I live.
- I am a member of the Société Française des Traducteurs (SFT) and as such, I abide by its code of conduct. I am also a member of the German association of professional translators, the BDÜ, Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer e.V. and also comply with the code of conduct. You can be sure that the services I provide meet the high standards set by both professional bodies.
- I only translate into my native tongue, French.
- I only take on projects that are within my skill set and my specialist fields.
- Throughout the project, from our first contact, up until you have accepted final delivery, I offer information and advice:
- Firstly, I will examine your project according to your specifications (deadline, terminology, special instructions).
- Once I have assessed the project, I draw up a quotation with details of the work to be done, the cost and proposed timeline.
- During the course of the project, especially if it spans several weeks, I will provide regular progress reports. If I require any information or clarification from you, I will always ask questions.
- On delivery, I will flag any issues and make remarks where necessary.
- At the end of the project, I always do a check on the content and presentation of the final document.
- I take continuing professional development very seriously and regularly attend training sessions, webinars, conferences and trade fairs as well as reading the French and foreign press to update and enrich my knowledge.